Author Ortberg, John.
Title Love beyond reason : moving God’s love from your head to your heart / John Ortberg.
Published Grand Rapids, Mich. : Zondervan Pub., c1998.
Description 221 p. ; 22 cm.
Note “Willow Creek Resources.”
Bibliography Includes bibliographical references.
Summary Discover the God you’ve longed to encounter; a Father head-over-heels in love with you, his child, and intensely committed to your highest joy. Ortberg takes you to the very core of God’s being to discover a burning, passionate love that gives, and gives, and gives. He explores the life-changing ways this love has expressed itself through Jesus. And he shows how you, like Jesus, can love your mate, your family, your friends, and the world around you with the same practical, transforming love.
Subjects (Topics) Love — Religious aspects — Christianity.
God — Love.
God — Worship and love.
ISBN 0310234492 (pbk.)
Title The Westminster dictionary of Christian spirituality / edited by Gordon S. Wakefield
Published Philadelphia : Westminster Press, c1983
Description xv, 400 p. ; 25 cm
Note Published simultaneously under title: A Dictionary of Christian spirituality
Bibliog. Includes bibliographies and index
Summary The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality is an invaluable reference work. The volume features hundreds of entries, arranged alphabetically for ease of use, on a wide range of people, ideas, and events that have helped to shape Christian spirituality.
Subject Spirituality — Dictionaries
Add Name/S Wakefield, Gordon S. (Gordon Stevens)
Author Wills, Dick, 1942-
Title Waking to God’s dream : spiritual leadership and church renewal / Dick Wills
Published Nashville : Abingdon Press, c1999
Description 112 p. ; 22 cm
Summary Pastor Wills shares the spiritual disciplines and insights he believes account for transforming his congregation from a large church in decline to one growing and reaching out to its community in a variety of creative ministries. Detailing the steps and initiatives that led to this turnaround, Wills demonstrates how personal commitment on the part of the congregation’s leaders and ministers have been the key. Wills gives some excellent and detailed steps to church renewal when the congregation is infected by the vision of what God is doing in their midst. Wills’ story is a powerful statement on seeking God’s will as a church body. Additionally Wills’ slim volume packs a powerful message: the key to church renewal is spiritual leadership. Unlike so many books of this nature, this provides very specific, straightforward steps to building spiritual leadership.
Subject Church renewal — United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Christian leadership — United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Spiritual life — United Methodist Church (U.S.)
- Personal Author:
- Hybels, Bill.
- Too busy not to pray : slowing down to be with God / Bill Hybels with LaVonne Neff and Ashley Wiersma.
- Rev. and expanded, 3rd ed.
- Publication info:
- Downers Grove, Ill. : IVP Books, c2008.
- Physical description:
- 198 p. ; 22 cm.
- Too Busy Not to Pray is a classic on prayer, helping Christians slow down to draw near to God. Since first appearing in 1988 the world certainly hasn’t slowed down. If anything, the pace, intensity and number of distractions have only increased. Brokenness and pain seem to have increased as well, with news of civil war, poverty, broken families and sex-trafficking touching us daily. The urgent need for prayer is clear, but busyness still keeps many of us from finding time to pray. Two truths haven’t changed: God is the same powerful, just, holy God he’s always been; and true prayer–prayer that changes us and allows us to participate in God’s work in the world–can’t happen on the fly. Hybels offers practical, time-tested ideas on slowing down to pray. Revised throughout and including a new introduction and new chapter on prayer and compassion for the world, this twentieth-anniversary edition calls for prayer as a priority and broadens our vision for what our eternal, powerful God does when his people slow down to pray.
- Subject term:
- Added author:
- Neff, LaVonne.
- Added author:
- Wiersma, Ashley.
- 9780830834754 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Author Wangerin, Walter.
Title Reliving the passion: meditations on the suffering death and resurrection of Jesus as recorded in Mark
Publisher Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992.
Descrip. 156 p.
Summary The meditations in Reliving the Passion, which received a Gold Medallion Award in 1993, follow the story as given in the gospel of Mark—from the moment when the chief priests plot to kill Jesus to the Resurrection. But these readings are more than a recounting of events; they are an imaginary reenactment, leading the reader to re-experience the Passion or perhaps see it fully for the very first time. As only a great storyteller can, Walter Wangerin enables the reader to see the story from the inside, to discover the strangeness and wonder of the events as they unfold. It’s like being there.
The spiritual life of children / Robert Coles.
Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1990.
xix, 358 p.,  p. of plates : col. ill. ; 22 cm.
In this eighth and final volume in his Pulitzer Prizewinning Children of Crisis series, Coles examines the religious and spiritual lives of children. By using children’s own words and pictures, Coles presents their deepest feelings.
Coles goes a step beyond any of his other inquiries and shows us children–Christian, Moslem, Jewish, secular–face-to-face with the idea of God.
child development, childhood, children, education, Faith Development, family, parenting, psychology, religion, religious life, sociology, spiritual, Spiritual Formation, spiritual life, spirituality
Buechner, Frederick, 1926-
The faces of Jesus / text, Frederick Buechner ; photography, Lee Boltin ; design, Ray Ripper.
Life of Jesus
New York: A Stearn/Harper & Row Book, c1989
art, Christian, Christian Art, Christian Living, christian mysticism, Christianity, emerging church, faith, Jesus, Jesus Christ, portraits, religion, religious art, Spiritual Formation, spirituality